Monday, June 22, 2009

Digital Archeological Digs: Discovery #4

You know when artists (specifically musicians) say they wish to paint pictures with their words and/or sounds? I just discovered that some artists wish to write, produce, and direct realistic films with their words and/or sounds. Introducing the Golden Epoch of "Cinematic Soul".

I was web record store browsing, and I came across El Michels Affair, a band hailing from
Where Brooklyn At, New York
. The sound is contemporary vintage, soul/jazz, and cinematic all in one. Genuine instrumentation with minimal technology, even though I still love a dope pro tools/fruity loops creation from a sample! As I was vibin to "Sounding Out the City" and "Enter the 37th Chamber", it was like listening to a movie soundtrack, you know the classic masterpieces that were well orchestrated and reflected the sequence of events in the actual film ie. Supafly, Trouble Man, Shaft, Claudine, etc.

http://fromdabricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/elmichelsaffair.jpg
http://musicremedy.com/webfiles/artists/ElMichelsAffair/ElMichelsAffair-01-big.jpg

(click photos to hear the tunes)

It was 1 thing that this sound was from this decade. It was another thing that this sound was from an actual band. And it was a whole new thing that I was able to fit these soundtracks into the autobiographical documentary I showcase on a daily!

Check out those two albums. Porque? Cuz I said so!

-PeAcE

0 word droppings: